Montana Mountain Views

Montana Mountain Views
Taken in the Bitteroot Valley, MT

Wednesday, August 18, 2010

In Defense of Mother-in-Laws

So it's been a while since I'm posted anything. I've been busy. I went to Asheville, North Carolina with my mother-in-law to see Biltmore House. Yes, that's right. I went on vacation with my mother-in-law.

Even as I write, I realize how utterly weird that sounds. Mother-in-laws have gotten kind of a bad rap. Most of my friends don't have an evil mother-in-law. In fact I can't think of one who doesn't at least like her MIL. Sure, we all have our issues. A lot of mother-in-laws don't like to share those special recipes that their sons like because they want them to have a reason to come home even if it is just for that special macaroni or their famous roast beef. Sometimes they don't want to give up the secret ingredient in their chicken and dumplings (chicken stock) because they have taken a long time to be famous for those chicken and dumplings and why should we have it easy? Still, all in all, most mother-in-laws are really not too bad.

I happen to be blessed with an exceptional mother-in-law. She shared her macaroni recipe right away. It's Kraft. Her chicken and dumplings recipe was an open book. It was just too big of a pain in the butt for me to want to fuss with. She spilled my husband's favorite dessert recipe without my even hinting or prompting. I just hardly ever make it. So we both win. I feel welcomed and loved and Lee still has to go home for her cut-it-with-a-fork roast beef.

My mother-in-law and I don't just get along, we love each other. My mom is about 18 bazillion miles away so it's nice to have a second mom about 20 minutes away. I call her when the kids are sick or when I can't get a recipe to work or I need advice about my job. She calls me to complain about her job or her husband and gossip about people we both know. We both like to garden and hate to shop. We both come from rural backgrounds. We enjoy each other's company. It's a nice place to be.

We didn't get here overnight. This relationship that we enjoy is the product of 12 years of hard work and tears and forgiveness. We've had our share of arguments and hurt feelings and pettiness. It's been worth it. Not only do I have a mother-in-law that I like, I have a friend that I can go on vacation with and actually have a really good time. I'm hoping that I'm sowing some seeds into my future here. I hope that I can have a good relationship with Conner's someday-wife even though there is no woman out there who is good enough for my little boy. And don't think I'm just going to hand over that chicken and dumplings recipe. Why should she have it easy?

No comments:

Post a Comment