Montana Mountain Views

Montana Mountain Views
Taken in the Bitteroot Valley, MT

Saturday, March 5, 2011

Soare Women Kill Their Own Cockroaches

My intense and, admittedly irrational, dislike of snakes has been well-documented.  When I say that I don't get all squeally and girlie about other creepies like bugs, spiders and other undesirables that does not mean that I love them and want to share personal space and life stories with them.  Quite the opposite.  I find cockroaches disgusting and never more so than tonight when I found a gargantuan one scurrying around my feet in the shower.

After a surprised "Ewwwe," escaped my disgustedly curled lip, I called for back-up from my husband.  After several unsuccessful attempts to elicit some assistance from that quarter, I gave up since he couldn't hear me because our television was set to the "so loud the neighbors can hear it" setting.  Suddenly I could hear my mom's voice in my head.  "Soare women aren't sissies.  Soare women kill their own bugs."  Dang it.  What was I supposed to do?  Crush it with my bare foot?  Not gonna happen.  No. Way. In. Heck.

After backing to opposing corners of the shower to avoid having unknown diseases tracked across my feet courtesy of  my insect friend, I remembered paper towels in the bathroom linen closet.  Eureka!  I just scoop it up with a paper towel and throw it in the trash.  My shower could continue sans cockroach.

It was a really good plan.  In my head it worked.  Of course, in my head I'm skinny and I wear really fabulous shoes and I work for an international spy syndicate .  Anyway, those cockroaches are faster and stronger than they look.  They can also jump when cornered, much to my chagrin. After several attempts to corner the little bugger and catch him with my disposable weapon, I managed to grasp him in the now soggy paper towel and make my way to the trash can across the room.  Of course, he jumped out of the paper towel before I could get there and he's now running around relishing his victory under my sink.

I decided to let him have this one. Next time he won't be so lucky. I'll get him when he least expects it and I'm not naked and wet with soapy hair.

2 comments:

  1. If that were a spider I wouldn't be able to rest until I saw that thing dead!

    ReplyDelete